Week 1 :: School year 2018-19

Well, it's been a great start to a new school year. We've been going for four weeks now and the children have had great successes. Lots of new subjects, new activities, and new materials we get to work with. We even have a new student as Kali has joined the ranks as a kindergartener! Let's get started:

Kali:

Math
I've been learning about the abacus. I learned a song about the numbers 6-10.

LA 
I am learning to match lowercase and uppercase letters to each other. My favorite book is Roxaboxen.

Ballet
I just started ballet this week! I love it. I can leap really high.
 
ELI:

Math
We played a game where you have to match 2-4 cards to make 15. I won. I am practicing adding three numbers together, not just two numbers.

LA 
I am really getting better at reading. Right now I am reading a story called Little Tuppens. Some of the new words I have learned are 'water' and 'spring.'

Science
I have been learning about different kids of sugars. A long time ago in the United States they didn't have regular sugar like we have now. The Native Americans taught the settlers how to tap maple trees. They would make maple sugar. 

Tech
I have made some cool stuff. I made an extendable arm/grabber. I also made a little machine with a motor that can draw on paper. It just scribbles like crazy.

Ninja Warrior Gym
Ninja training is AWESOME! It just started this week. I learned how to run up a wall.

KAI:

Math
We've been doing a lot with money. I already learned how to count money a long time ago. This week I learned how to count change back to a customer. My mom didn't even know how to do it very well!  

LA
I'm learning about nouns. Nouns are a person, place, or thing. I'm also reading a biography about Abe Lincoln and a book called Bound for Oregon.

Science
This year i am doing physics. I've learned about density and mass. Mass is not the same thing as weight. If you went to different  planets your mass would stay the same but your weight would change because the gravity is different on each planet.

Tech
My sister, dad and I are working on a conveyor belt. Our goal is that it will know which color block is coming down the belt and then it will push the right color into the right bin. My job is to design and construct the conveyor belt. 

Ninja Warrior Gym
This was my first week and I LOVED it! My favorite (and the hardest) obstacle was running, jumping and landing with my arms and legs out to catch myself between to walls. It is called a spider jump. 

EMMIE:

Math
This year I am doing both Algebra and Geometry. In geometry I am doing reflections and rotations. In Algebra I am learning how to do addition, subtraction, multiplication and division using x and y.

LA 
Right now I am reading Steal Away. It's about a girl named Suzanna. She used to live in the north and then her parents died and so she was sent to live with relatives that live in the south. When she got there she was given a slave. Now she's not sure if it is a sin to have a slave. 

Science
 This year I am studying biology. I am learning about cells. I have used the microscope to look at wet cork, an onion and paper with words and my own cells from my spit. 

Tech
My brother, dad and I are working on a conveyor belt. Our goal is that it will know which color block is coming down the belt and then it will push the right color into the right bin. My job is to design and construct the mechanism that will detect the color of the blocks and push them into the correct bins. 

Acting
This class hasn't started yet. 

Comments

Popular Posts