Week 23

Eli:

Math
This week I got to learn how to make a five pointed star. It was really fun. I started inside a pentagon and connected the the corners. FIrst I had to learn to use a ruler the right way so my lines would be straight. 

LA 
Odysseus is leaving the island to go home to his family. At first he was in love with somebody on the shore. She gave him stuff to build a boat with so he built his boat to go home. Then she gave him wind so the wind would fill his sails to go home. Then he ran into a monster and the monster made really huge waves. After one or two hours...or like three...somebody was in the water and it looked like seaweed in her hand and she wanted Odysseus to strip off his clothes (because they were too heavy and he was going to drown) and put on the seaweed because it would bring him safely back to shore. So he got back on shore and threw the seaweed back into the ocean like she told him to. 

Science
Today we read about a lark. Larks usually walk on land. Their greatest enemy is a hawk sparrow. The lark was usually on land and it walks around. When it flies it doesn't go straight to its nest so the predators won't know where it is. 

Tech
I've been making hotels this week with my magnatiles. I make two floors now so that the bottom is a parking garage. The top floor is all the rooms.

Piano
This week I started a new song for recital called "This Land is Your Land." I really like it but it is hard right not. It will get easier. 


Kai:

Math
I have been waiting to do this stuff!!! I finally get to learn how to use a T-square and a ruler and get to make shapes. We started with a connecting the vertices in a pentagon. Then today I made horizontal lines to close the polygons. 

LA
In my King George book he was trying to figure out what to do in the colonies to make them listen to his rules. So he gave them more taxes (Kai rolls his eyes here). It just made the new Americans more mad. 

Science
Today we read about a lark. They wake up super early in the morning to fly and sing. The kids in the book tried to wake up before them at 5:00 but the larks were already up. So the next day they tried 4:00 but the larks were already singing. Their moms wouldn't let them get up any earlier than that though so they wouldn't get grumpy.

Tech
We didn't do tech class this week. I built really cool hotels with my brother with our Magnatiles. We made two floors this week and added cars to put in the car garage. We built them into our school stools which made it look like it was in a building. 

Orchestra
I don't like orchestra. We only have 5 more weeks. I like playing but I don't feel like I know what I'm always doing.


Emmie:

Math
In math I have been do nesting parallelograms. So you connect the medians on each side and you've got another parallelogram in the middle and that new parallelogram will have equal area to the 4 triangles that surround it. 

LA 
In grammar I learned about demonstrative and interrogative pronouns. Interrogative pronouns ask questions, like which, what, when, how and where. Demonstrative pronouns sort of point to something like "This is a flower" or "That is a bee."

Science
This week I did a lesson in static electricity to demonstrate why there is lightening and thunder. I learned about the dust particles in the cloud that rub against the water droplets. This creates static electricity. The negatively charged particles are going to sink to the bottom and the positively charged particle sit on top of them. So the (-) particles zap down to the ground, which is (+) charged. This is lightening. The thunder comes from the sound of the lightening. 

Tech
We didn't work on our tech class this week. Instead, I built this kitty hotel for our cats out of small cardboard boxes. THe only way I got one of my cats to go in it was by attaching a paper bag with a hole in the bottom of it to the entrance of the hotel. Two of our cats wen tin and explored.

Orchestra
In orchestra we learned a song called "Scotland in Burning." And in cello lessons I moved forward 4 songs this week. I feel like that means I am improving quickly. 

Comments

Popular Posts