Week 14 :: Almost Christmas Break!

Eli:

Math
Right now I am practicing hundreds. I used place value cards to put the ones, tens and hundreds together. I love to play the "Comes Before" game with 2's. My mom asks me, "What comes before 14?" Answer: 12. It's fun.

LA 
Today I  practiced my writing by writing on gift tags and a notes for Christmas.

Science
We didn't do much science this week. But yesterday we saw a flock of birds around our house!! There were thousands of them. They would fly around and then landed on our house and our neighbor's houses. Then they flew around again and landed. Then they flew away. We used our binoculars to see that they had medium long beaks and their breast was shiny. 

Tech
I learned about how the two front wheels of a car go two different speeds when it is turning. I don't remember the name.

Piano
I practiced 5 days this week! I have all my Christmas songs memorized and can play them in a duet with my teacher.


Kai:

Math
I’m doing multiplication for math. I learned about arrays. An array is a set of rows and columns. Like 2 by 4 would be 8 tiles. 

LA
In Odysseus he is in the Land of the Dead. He didn’t let anyone in the land taste the blood of the lamb he killed except for the blind priest/prophet. The prophet told Odysseus what to do and that the Sea God was still mad at him for blinding his son the Cyclops. But he also got to talk to his own soldier and his mother, who dies out of sadness because he had been gone so long. The prophet guy also told Odysseus that people were trying to marry his wife and when they were trying to marry his wife that he only had a little time left because his wife thought he was dead. 

Science
We live in a big bowl called the Great Basin. The water in the ocean evaporates and goes down throughthe valley and turns into water vapor. Then when it goes up into the mountains in turns ito clouds because the water vapors freezes. Then it because snow. But then the leftover cloud goes down into another valley and that turns into water vapor and when it goes over the part that is cold enough to turn it into fog then it becomes like a big blanket, but it can’t get out until another storm comes through to blow it out. And while it sits there exhaust and smoke gets stuck in it and it becomes smog. When it just barely has snowed some of the dust of the smog gets into the snow. 

Tech
I worked a little more on differentials. I built another differential and instead of a crank I put a motor on it. It went a lot faster.

Orchestra
We don’t have orchestra until January but in Piano I am working on Star Wars, which is for my next recital. I am also working on We Wish You a Merry Christmas, O Come, All Ye Faithful, and The First Noel. 

Emmie:

Math
In math I have been practicing the area of a parallelogram. You basically chop off one end of the parallelogram, which is a triangle and attach it to the other end, which makes it a rectangle. Then you find the area of the rectangle.

LA 
In Johnny Tremain I read about him searching around for jobs that he would like and nobody would employ him because of his bad hand. SO to take a break he went into the printer’s shop and there was another boy that looked a couple years older than him. His name was something like Rag. He was really nice and shared his lunch with Johnny. He did stare at his hand when he pulled it out of his pocket and now Johnny likes this boy. 

Science
This term I will be learning about weather but my curriculum hasn’t arrived yet. However, I’ve learned a little about the pollution here in Utah. The cold weather sandwiches the pollution so it stays low. Sometimes it even freezes and falls like snow and it’s gross. 

Tech
I am making a mermaid tail blanket. I have made the fin part so far. First, I had to make the template/pattern for it. I have it all cut out. Then I sewed the fin pieces together right sides together and turned it right side out. 

Orchestra
Since orchestra isn’t on again until January I have nothing to report but I have cello lessons. In my lesson this week my teacher put a fuzzy sticker on the neck of my cello to help me to know where to put my thumb. This also helps me to not press my thumb too hard

Comments

Popular Posts