Week 13 :: Start of Term 2!

Eli:

Math
Right now I am practicing hundreds. I used place value cards to put the ones, tens and hundreds together.

LA 
For my reading lesson today I read The Little Red Hen. I finished the whole story and learned the words 'thresh' and 'grind'.

Science
I am learning about corn. The corn has tassels and silk. The pollen gets blown by the wind and attaches to the silk to make corn kernels. 

Tech
I learned about how the two front wheels of a car go two different speeds when it is turning. I don't remember the name.

Piano
I finally started to get to use flash cards. I have 6 cards right now. I'm not very fast yet.


Kai:

Math
Today I learned how to subtract using thousands. On the abacus you trade ten ones for a ten. When it's on paper you give the then to the tens place.

LA
In George Washington they had another battle. They surprised the enemy and so the enemy ran away. But in another battle Washington's troops had to retreat. 

Science
Today we started reading a book about corn. I learned that each piece of silk needs to have it's own piece of pollen. When a silk is pollinated then it it makes one kernel of corn. 

Tech
I learned about a differential. My dad showed me a really old video about it from when they first invented it. A differential makes it so the two front wheels of a car can turn together but at different speed. 

Orchestra
I don't have orchestra again until January. Today I heard a song on the radio and I know right away that it was from the Nutcracker. I will be going to see the Nutcracker next week. 

Emmie:

Math
Today in Math Stories I read about Gutpa and it was talking about how people learned to count. He was an Arab.

LA 
I read a poem today. It was about being kind and loving. I liked it because the theme was obvious without using the the word loving. The poet used creative words. 

Science
In Nearer Nature I learned about how they fertilize their garden. They would use a rototiller and sheep poo. Their garden was supposed to be shaped like a square but it looks more like Pennsylvania because there are a couple cut corners from when their dog ran through it. 

Tech
I forgot to do my tech assignment this week but I have been making these little flip book movies. They are pretty funny. You have the flip the pages fast to see the movie.

Orchestra
I don't have orchestra again until January but I've been practicing my cello and I practiced a drill over 200 times!! That was the challenge my teacher gave me 2 weeks ago. I have another lesson tomorrow.

Comments

Popular Posts