Week 12 :: Grace Week

We recently learned a great way to get "caught up" between terms. A Grace Week! We forget some of the other subject that we've stayed up with (composer, artist, literature, handwriting, etc) and focus everyday on the things we're a little behind schedule on. This week we focused on history, some reading, math, science and a couple others. It's been a great, productive week.


Eli:

Math
Right now I am practicing hundreds. I'm learning how to use the other side of the abacus to count hundreds.

LA 
I read a story about "Nothing Boy". It is an Indian tale. It is about a boy that nobody thought could do anything good, but when he is challenged, with all the other tribe boys, to catch certain animals, like a fox, he does it. After doing it a few times then the other boys like him. 

Science
This week I have been practicing drawing birds and other animals. I also learned how to draw a palm tree, We used to have palm trees when we lived in California. 

Tech
I've been making cool stuff with my Magnatiles. This picture is from when I made a rocket ship that was getting ready for take off. I built the walls around it so the fire wouldn't burn everything around it.

Piano
I'm learning lots of Christmas songs right now. I like Up on the Housetop the best. It only uses the black keys.


Kai:

Math
I have been practicing 1000's using base ten cards, my abacus and placing the digits in the right order.

LA
In Paddle to the Sea he's been going to the next lake. He went through Lake Michigan. He was taken all the way to the bottom (south) and had to make his way back to the top (north).

Science
I learned that the fastest plane on earth looks like a tiny missile. It goes 6x the speed of sound! When we lived in California we heard planes do the sonic boom almost every month. 

Tech
With LEGO robotics I built a tiny machine that connects 2 LEGO blocks together. They squish two LEGO blocks together and then drops it. 

Orchestra
My first orchestra is on Monday! We are plucking strings to Jingle Bells.

Emmie:

Math
I have been learning about squaring numbers and multiplication tables. I learned that you can do near doubles with multiplication, you just have to take away one.

LA 
In Twelfth Night, Sebastian and Antonio came to shore. Antonio said that Sebastian could go an look around a bit while he checked into the Inn. When Sebastian was walking around town he got mistaken for Viola/Cesario, who had been challenged to  a duel with Malvolio. When Antonio came to look for Sebastian around town he found Viola/Cesario dueling Malvolio and he stepped in.

Science
In Popular Science I read about how scientists/doctors are figuring ways to fight disease that they have found is to take out the T-cells, which are already in us, and train them in a petri to fight cancer or whatever is hurting us and then they put it back into your body. Sometimes it can be genetic. 

Tech
I didn't do robotics this week, but in Popular Science I read about how old TVs had few pixels on the screen so if you took  an older show from then and tried to put it on a much larger screen now then there would be a lot of jagged edges and black spots. On one of the biggest TVs today it has 33,177,600 pixels andit used to only be about 25 pixels per square inch on the older TVs.

Orchestra
We had our last practice this week before our concert on Monday. Then we don't have orchestra again until January. I also had my first private cello lesson. It was really fun. I learned how to hold my bow correctly and that I'm even using the wrong size cello.

Comments

Popular Posts