Week 9

Eli:

Math
In math I have been practicing adding tens. So, 24 +10 equals 34 because you change the tens place. 

LA 
In Explode the Code I had to read silly sentences and figure out if they are a yes or no (whether they are true or false.)

Science
We  kept reading about the golden plover this week. He's in Alaska. He found a female and now they are laying eggs. Both the female and the male take turns laying on the eggs. They move the eggs to point to the middle.

Tech
I built a lot of things with KEVA blocks today. I made these twirly stairs. Then I made a wall around it with doors for where the caves are. 


Piano
I have my two recital pieces, Jingle Bells and School Bell. I am working on memorizing Jingle Bells so I can start Silent Night next. 

Kai:

Math
This week in math I am practicing Ready, Set, Trade. On the abacus there are 4 columns (ones, tens, hundreds, and thousands). So we add 2 large numbers, like 4272 and 29. Then we'll have 11 ones, so we have trade 10 of the ones for a ten. 

LA
This week I read a chapter of Romulus and Remus. The chapter is called Stolen Wives. When the husbands went out to fight and marching through towns to fight, the wives would run out of the city gates and hold up their babies. They were begging the men to stop killing each other. 


Science
This week we read more about the Golden Plover bird. They are starting to nest in Alaska. When a mother lays her eggs she arranges them with all their points facing the middle. both the father and the mother take turns to lay on the eggs so they each go out and find food too.

Tech
This week I have spent a lot of time with my KEVA blocks. I built a mine out of the blocks. There was a flat surface for rocks to go down to the trcuks at the bottom. There was a dark part inside that was where they did all their welding and stuff. 


Orchestra
This week we started Jingle Bells and Dredel. Both are really hard for me. One shows what the letter names are and they other doesn't. 

Emmie:

Math
For math this week I have been figuring out the area of shapes in inches and centimeters squared. I did this marking the inches or centimeters downt he side and along the top. Then I used my t-square and my triangle to make perfect squares. Then I would count the squares. 

LA 
In The Witch of Blackbird Pond she finally got off the ship after a very long time. And the reason it took a long time is because they were sailing on a river that had tall cliffs on each side, blocking the wind. So the sailors had to get in a row boat and had the anchor in the boat and tied the other side of the anchor rope to the ship. Then they would pull the ship toward them, using the rope and then they would restart. They did this for 3 days until the wind picked up again. The whole trip took 3 weeks, but with a decent wind it should have only taken one. 

Science
This week in science I am doing an experiment where I take 4 plants and put them in different locations and treat them each differently. They will be in the dark or light, with or without water and air. 


Tech
There are 2 ways to program our robots. I can either use the robot itself. Or, I can use the computer and personalize it more. I think using the computer is easier and that's what I prefer. 

Orchestra
This week in orchestra we learned how to play Jingle Bells. We are plucking for this song. I'm really getting excited to use the bow. 

Comments

Popular Posts